Essay Chat 19 – Screwtape Proposes a Toast (Brenton Dickieson)
“Screwtape Proposes a Toast” is an essay that is indirectly a follow-up to the successful book The Screwtape Letters. Brenton Dickieson joins William O’Flaherty for an essay chat on this insightful piece that Wormwood never got to hear. It was first published in The Saturday Evening Post in 1959 (see below for a link to read it online) before being reprinted several times. The best place to get in print is either in The World’s Last Night or some editions of The Screwtape Letters. This is part of an occasional series exploring a single essay by Lewis to encourage you to read (or re-read) it and other essays by him that are often neglected.
- Read the essay for FREE online at The Saturday Evening Post
- Purchase the essay in The Annotated Screwtape Letters
- Purchase the essay in The World's Last Night
- Visit A Pilgrim in Narnia (Brenton's website)
- Visit EssentialCSLewis.com